- 2 cups milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 lemon
- Prep Ingredients: Whisk the egg, remove the rind from 1 small lemon.
- Add milk to a sauce pan on low to medium heat.
- Add cornstarch (through a sieve to prevent clumps) and sugar. Stir vigorously with a whisk throughout the whole process.
- Immediately add lemon rind and vanilla essence as you continue to stir.
- Just prior to the milk reaching boiling point, add whole egg and continue to stir
- The mixture will begin to thicken. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes for a runnier custard, or 5-6 minutes for a cream-like consistency
- Store in fridge and serve cold.