- 2 cups of milk of choice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Rind of 1 small lemon
- Add milk to a sauce pan on low to medium heat.
- Add cornstarch (through a sieve to prevent clumps) and sugar. Stir vigorously with a whisk throughout the whole process.
- Immediately add lemon rind and vanilla essence as you continue to stir.
- Just prior to the milk reaching boiling point, add whole egg and continue to stir
- The mixture will begin to thicken. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes for a runnier custard, or 5-6 minutes for a cream-like consistency
- Store in fridge and serve cold.